Disleksia - Symptoms, causes and treatment
Disleksia is a disruption of the learning process in which a person is having difficulty reading, writing, or spelling. Patients with disleksia will have difficulty in identifying how the words must be changed into the form of letters and sentences and vice versa.
General Disleksia found on the age of the children and can attack children with sight and a normal level of intelligence. In other words, disleksia not influenced and was influenced by the level of intelligence of man.
Until this time, cause disleksia still unknown definitely. But some experts suspect that the gene factor and the descendants of played a big behind the learning disorder, where the genes revealed will affect the brain function to language setting.
Disleksia is a condition that will be suffered a lifetime and still have not found relief until now. But most children with disleksia able to learn and graduated with good in schools with the help of a special learning program. In addition to the moral and emotional support also plays an important role in determining the success of the learning of children with disleksia.
The symptoms of Disleksia
Disleksia symptoms are varied and are generally not the same on each patients. Therefore, this disorder is usually difficult known. Especially before the child enters the school age.
There are a number of genes in the lineage of the considered can affect the development of the brain that controls the phonology, namely the ability and subtleties in understanding the voice or oral language. For example, distinguish the words "nails" with the words "palu".
On infants, disleksia can be identified by a number of symptoms that are:
- The development of talk that slower than the children of her age.
- Take a long time to learn new words, for example confused mentions the word "mother" to "sweet".
- Difficulty using the words to express themselves, for example difficulties to choose the right words or difficulties in drawing up the word correctly.
- Less understand the words that have rima, e.g. "princess dancing itself".
The symptoms of ordinary disleksia will be more obvious when children start learning to read and write in schools. Your children will be experiencing some difficulties that covers:
- Difficulty processing and understand what he heard.
- Slow to learn the name and sound of the alphabet.
- Often one or too slowly when reading.
- Slow when writing and the writings that are not neatly.
- Difficulty remembering the sequence, for example in alphabetical order or the name of the day.
- Tend not to find similarities or differences in a
- Difficulty spelling, for example the letter "d" often crossed with the letter "B", or number "6" with numbers "9"
- Slow in writing, for example when the dictates or copy writing.
- Difficulty speak a new word known.
- Have the sensitivity of the phonology is low. For example, they will have difficulty to answer the question "How saying when the letter 'b' on 'Book' replaced with an 's'?"
Because it is difficult to recognize disleksia sometimes there are new realized after patients with young teen even adults. Some of them are:
- Difficulty reading and spelling.
- Difficulty copy notes and make the paper, for example the paper or report.
- A problem in expressing things through writing or outlines a story.
- Often does not understand the jokes or the meaning of the symbolic language, for example the term "brain thinner" which means smart.
- Difficulties in the set time, for example the deadline in the task.
- Difficulty to remember the sequence, for example the phone number.
- Tend to avoid reading and writing.
- Difficulty counting.
If you are worried about the development of the ability to read and write your child who feels slowly, contact the doctor. An examination is also useful to verify whether there are other medical disorders or not, for example vision disturbances or hearing.
The process of Diagnosis Disleksia
Prior to the doctor or specialist, you should find out about the advantages and disadvantages in the ability of the children first. This process can be done through the game, for example puzzle picture. If possible you can also request assistance from the school teachers, for example to provide remedial programs.
Disleksia tend to be difficult to detect because symptoms that various. The doctor may consider some factors such as:
- The history of the development of the education and health of children. The doctor may also be asked whether there is a history of other family members with disruption of the ability to learn.
- The situation in the house. The question that can be asked questions among other descriptions of the condition of the family, for example anyone who lived in the house and whether there is a problem in the family.
- Filling the questionnaire by members of the family and the school teachers.
- The test to check the ability to understand the information, read, memory and language children.
- An examination of vision, hearing, and neurology to eliminate the possibility of a disease or other disorders that cause the symptoms experienced.
- Test the psychology to understand the psyche conditions children and eliminate the possibility of interaction disorders, anxiety or depresi that can affect its ability.
The method of handling Disleksia
After the results of the diagnosis disleksia surely, the doctor will recommend the handling should walk. Disleksia can not be healed, but early handling and proven to be very effective in improving the ability of the patients, especially read.
One form of treatment that can help sufferers disleksia is approach and special education assistance. The determination of the type of intervention which matches usually depends on the severity of the disleksia experienced as well as the test results psychology patients.
For patients with disleksia children, the type of intervention is most effective in improving the ability to read and write is the intervention that focuses on the ability of the phonology. This is usually called fonik intervention. Patients with disleksia will be taught the basic elements such as learn to identify fonem or the sound of the smallest units in the words, understand letters and the order of letters forming the sound, understand what is read, read vocal, and build vocabulary.
In addition through the intervention of the education, parents also have an important role in improving the ability of the children. Simple steps that can be done among others:
- Read books for children. The best time to read the book is when children aged 6 months or even more young man. When the children are older than the great, try reading together with children.
- Working together with the school children you. Talking about the condition of the children by the teacher or the school principal and discuss how best to help your child to succeed in the lessons.
- When you read in intake. You might get bored reading the same story and repeatedly on your children, but repetition of this will increase the ability of the children to understand the story so that they become not so familiar with the writing and the story. Also provide time for children you read itself without the help of you.
- Make Reading a fun activities. You can select the topic of light reading fun, or the atmosphere of reading in another place for example in the garden.
Encourage and persuade the children to read the book and discuss the contents together will also be useful.
Avoid insults when the children made a mistake in reading to self-confidence children can be built.
Educational intervention is not only useful for patients with disleksia children, but also for patients with adolescents and adults in improving the ability to read and write them. So also with involves the help of technology such as computer programs with voice recognition software.
Handling of disleksia need time and energy that is not a little. Because of the family and the patients are recommended for patient travel freely. The support and assistance from family members and close friends will be very helpful.